Adoption Fund

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Packing vs. Unpacking


I am not sure if packing or unpacking is worse. I love going on vacations and mini getaways but the idea of going through my clothes and deciding on just a few outfits to take is dreaded. I have the hardest time picking out what I want to take. I can start out with every intention of only taking an outfit +2 for the number of days we will be gone but somehow once I do that I change my mind and start fearing what if I am not in the mood to wear that what would I do! So I always wind up with a HEAVY suitcase or multiple bags in tow. The questions always run through my head...will I want to dress up? will I want to be comfortable? what if we don't go out to eat, will I just want lounge around clothes? do I want dresses, shorts, capris, skirts? tank tops, t-shirts, polos? And that is only clothes I am talking about, now we lead up to shoes, will I want tennis shoes, sandals, flip flops, high heels, etc? Will they look good with all the outfits I have packed? Alright so now that I have answered all those questions and packed WAYYY too much its time to think about books. Besides having my Bible along for the trip, and a devotion book, what other books should I take? I can normally read at least 2 books on a week long trip! Do we want games to play at night? If so, which ones should we take? And after all those questions and everything packed I am thankful I have a sister and mom who I can share a hairdryer, straightner, shampoo and conditioner with (they save me a little room in my suitcase for an extra outfit!) Ok, ok now I am officially ready for the vacation. Can you just see me now with all the bags surrounding me?!


Now that I have packed, gone on vacation and returned home it's time to think about the other side of vacation...unpacking! The pile of laundry needs to be done, the clothes that were not worn need to be put up, shoes need to be tucked away, books returned to the correct shelf or basket, games returned to the game cabinet; where do I begin? The last thing I want to do is spend time unpacking after a fun, relaxing getaway. It is hard to find the motivation to unpack! There was plenty of room in my closet and drawers when I took the clothes out, but where did that space go while I was gone? Did my clothes grow? Probably so! If you know me you know shopping while on vacation is a must!


What's your opinion? Do you dread packing or unpacking more? Any tips on either side of this?

2 comments:

  1. I dread unpacking the most b/c that usually just means a full laundry basket! BTW, was this blog post your way of telling me that I need to bring the shampoo, hair dryer, and straightener this week?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After unpacking and starting to do laundry today, I have realized that it is packing that I hate. I love clothes and don't want to leave anything out. I have to match when I dress and I often carry extra pairings depending whether I want to dress dressy or dress down. Unpacking, although sad because that means your vacation is over, is fairly simple. I simply unload my suit case right into the washer.
    ~ B.C.

    ReplyDelete